|"'Use coconut oil', they said. 'Sleep in a satin scarf', they said. Why is my hair so dry then?!"|
"You can't win!"
This is what my hair was singing this past week as it felt like straw (hence the above picture of the scarecrow from The Wiz). It was just dry, brittle, and no matter what I put on it, it just didn't seem like it would absorb moisture. It looked cute and all for about two days and then I had to have it up for about three days after that. On the day that I went to co-wash I frantically looked everywhere for my conditioner. When I found it not in its normal place, I realized the problem: I never used it the last time I washed my hair. Oh no!
|Check out Mike's twist out though|
Maybe the scarecrow and I have more in common than I thought. Where was my brain? Conditioning your hair is one of the main components on maintaining natural hair. How did I miss that? When I retraced my steps I thought that perhaps I just forgot to do it. After all, there are a lot of steps involved when it comes to my wash day:
- Homemade pre-poo
- Apple Cider Vinegar rinse
- Homemade deep conditioning
- Leave-in Conditioning
- Parting and distributing moisturizing cream
- Setting with gel
- Blow drying
- I didn't rinse my homemade deep conditioning treatment out well (2 eggs, yogurt, and honey).
- I also forgot to add coconut oil before styling.
- Conditioner not only softens my hair but prepares it better for the styling aids I use.
So what about you and your wash day? Do you both condition and deep condition or do you do one or the other?